We are please to announce the launch of Schwarz Mönch our schwarzbier to the UK market.
We will be available on the Battersea Barge in London on 10th September 2021. Trade 1-3pm, open to the public till late.
– Even today with so much choice available, a new type of beer has arrived on our shores, something completely different to a black ale or stout.
-Created by a Londoner who bought an old, abandoned mountain hotel in Switzerland, only reachable by cable car, high above the Lauterbrunnen valley, that Tolkien took as his inspiration for Rivendell.
– Inspired by local history, the decision was to recreate a Schwarzbier, the traditional style of bier brewed by the local monks that owned the village some two hundred years previously.
– Within two years the recipe had become the highest rated Schwarzbier in the World (Untappd beer rating App). Applauded by Rick Steves(Travel Writer) and Ken Grossman (Sierra Nevada Brewing).
– Named after a mountain in front of the hotel close to the Eiger and Jungfrau.
– One of the worlds leading climbers when asked to create a tough 9C grade climb in the area named the climb Schwarz Monch, not after the mountain as he explained on interview, but after the outstanding local bier.
– In 2019 the bier was entered in The London Beer Competition against beers from 35 countries in all categories of beer and won silver. It also won Gold as a Schwarzbier in a Swiss competition.
– The Monch has now come on a pilgrimage with his recipe to a brewery in the Surrey hills ( The Crafty Brewing Company) to brew his beer for the British Market.
– A Schwarzbier is a chilled lighter bodied black bier with a sparkle like a lager. Schwarz Monch, created high in the Alps, was designed for people who have just been skiing, climbing, Paragliding, mountain biking or base jumping, it’s a thirst quencher.
– The Monch; the inspiration for the brew, the conveyor of the recipe and the symbol of its character will be in attendance.
Capacity 150 – first come first served.