Five police men and one journalist have been named in the chargesheet


PBI files chargesheet over Raihan’s death in police custody (video)


PBI files chargesheet over Raihan’s death in police custody (video)

Sylhet::

The Police Bureau of Investigation (PBI) has filed chargesheet accusing suspended sub-inspector Akbar Hossain, five policemen and a journalist in a case filed over the death of Raihan Ahmed at Bandarbazar police outpost in Sylhet.

Confirming the matter to The Business Standard, Khaled-uz-Zaman, special superintendent of PBI in Sylhet, said the chargesheet was filed to the prosecution section of the court at 11am today.

On October 11 last year, Raihan Ahmed, 34, a resident of Akharia in Sylhet city, was ‘beaten to death in police custody’ at the police outpost, alleged the victim’s family.

His wife, Tahmina Akter Tanni, filed a case with Kotwali Police Station the following day accusing a number of unidentified people.

Later on October 12, the authorities suspended four policemen, including the then in-charge of Bandarbazar Police outpost Akbar, in connection with the death.

Three policemen, including Ashek, were withdrawn the same day.

The case was later transferred to the PBI.

Besides, the SMP formed an investigation committee, headed by its Additional Deputy Commissioner Shahrier Al Mamun, to look into the death of Raihan.

After a primary investigation, they found some policemen guilty of foul play.

After autopsy, doctors said they found 111 injury marks on Raihan’s body and two of his nails were pulled out.

On October 22 of the same year, former SMP Commissioner Golam Kibria was transferred over widespread criticisms of the role of police after the death of Raihan.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *





related stories


error: Content is protected !!