Iran and major powers will continue to discuss ways to revive the 2015 nuclear deal that former US president Donald Trump abandoned in 2018, Iran’s chief nuclear negotiator told state television on Tuesday.
“The talks in Vienna were constructive … our next meeting will be on Friday,” Abbas Araqchi said.
He also added that Tehran would not suspend its enrichment of uranium to 20% fissile purity in return for the release of $1 billion of its funds blocked in other countries because of US sanctions reimposed on Iran since 2018.
US state department spokesman Ned Price also sounded a note of caution ahead of the talks, telling reporters in Washington on Monday: “We don’t anticipate an early or immediate breakthrough, as these discussions, we fully expect, will be difficult.”
The US special envoy for Iran, Robert Malley, said last week that his goal was to “see whether we could agree on a road map back to compliance for both sides”, and that the US knew it was “going to have to lift those sanctions that are inconsistent with the deal that was reached with Iran”.