Breaking News
{"effect":"fade","fontstyle":"normal","autoplay":"true","timer":4000}

Goal takes a look at the biggest transfer news and rumours from the Premier League, La Liga, Serie A and around the world


Transfer news and rumours LIVE: Messi agrees to €700m Man City contract


Transfer news and rumours LIVE: Messi agrees to €700m Man City contract

Live Update::

Key:

 

MESSI-WATCH LIVE: Striker’s father Jorge insists it is ‘DIFFICULT’ for his son to stay at Barcelona as his talks with crisis club’s beleaguered president are brought forward after touching down in Spain… follow ALL the latest developments here

  • Barcelona are bracing themselves for one of the biggest weeks in their history 
  • The club are preparing for showdown talks on the future of striker Lionel Messi
  • World’s most recognisable player informed the club he wished to leave by fax
  • The player’s father, Jorge, landed in the Spanish city this morning for meeting
  • He told reporters in Spain that it is ‘difficult’ for his son to continue at the club 
  • They believe the player has the right to excercise a break clause in his contract
  • However, President Josep Bartomeu does not want to let the Argentine leave 

Inter Milan chief addresses Messi transfer links with clear statement

Inter Milan’s sporting director Piero Ausilio has made clear the club’s stance on signing Lionel Messi this summer.

Messi is currently involved in a contract wrangle with Barcelona after telling the Catalan club he wants to leave.

Manchester City are the favourites to sign the Argentine superstar, whose father Jorge has travelled to Spain for showdown talks aimed at securing a compromise over Messi’s £625million release fee.

But Inter are also among the clubs rumoured to be plotting to swoop for Messi – along with Paris-Saint Germain and Juventus.

Barca presidential candidate calls for ‘reasonable agreement’

Lionel Messi and Barcelona need to come to a “reasonable agreement” over his future after the player asked to be freed from his contract, according to one of the club’s presidential candidates.

The 33-year-old informed the club last month that he wished to leave in the wake of their 8-2 Champions League thrashing at the hands of Bayern Munich, claiming a clause in his contract would allow him to walk away for free.

That has been disputed by Barca, who are now set for talks with Messi’s father Jorge after he reportedly arrived in Spain for talks with the board.

It is believed the clause Messi is attempting to activate expired earlier in the year but that the six-time Ballon D’Or winner feels – because the season was extended following the coronavirus pandemic – the expiration date on the clause should also be adjusted accordingly.

Barcelona disagree and were backed by LaLiga on Sunday, hours after Messi failed to show up for his scheduled Covid-19 test which would have allowed him to start pre-season training with new head coach Ronald Koeman the following day.

Jorge Messi is claimed to have told local reporters that his son’s future at Barcelona would be “difficult” as presidential candidate Victor Font said reaching an amicable decision was key.

“We need the two parties to sit down and discuss to ensure that whatever transition needs to happen,” Font told talkSPORT.

“I’m truly hoping reason prevails and as soon as the club and Messi’s father sit down and talk, that the interest of both Messi and Barca will be taken into account and properly protected.

“What I believe is very important is that a reasonable agreement is reached, so that we protect the interests of the club going forward.

“The damage this is doing to Barcelona is quite phenomenal. That’s why we insist in the relevance of managing this properly because it can still be contained.”

Comments are closed.


related stories


error: Content is protected !!